Monday, April 2, 2012

Better Time Allocation Here I Come!

            Brainstorming for the lived-in ethics project has provided a wonderful opportunity for me to reevaluate my decisions, actions, and overall lifestyle, and how they align with my beliefs and values, specifically those related to the environment. I was lucky enough to grow up with two incredibly environmentally minded parents. My dad directs the state of Massachusetts in making environmentally sound investments and my mom runs programs to introduce people to urban farming. Because of this, and other factors, I consider myself to be a fairly environmentally conscious individual. I have been a vegetarian for two years and have been called a "light nazi" for the lengths that I sometimes go to to make sure that every unnecessary light is turned off. Of course, there is always more to do, and for my lived-in ethics project I would like to focus on better allocating my time. As we discussed in class one morning, time management is a crucial thing! Upon examining how I currently use my time, I think that for the most part I use it well, however there is certainly room for improvement. For the next two blocks, I will not engage in activities that have no apparent benefit to me, the community, or the environment. On the same note, I will spend more time giving back to mama Earth!

            My plan to cut down what I perceive to be meaningless activities is to, first off, delete my facebook. Although I do not consider myself a facebook addict by any means, I certainly spend more time on it than is necessary. Time spent on facebook, typically means time spent indoors, and certainly means time using electricity when it is not absolutely necessary. In addition, I will start timing my showers in an effort to make them as efficient as possible. I will also not use electronics, as well as electricity in general, when it is not necessary.

          The aspect of my project that I am most excited about is the giving back part. I already volunteer somewhat regularly at the CC farm but I am going to commit to going to at least one of the two hour work days every week. I will also make an effort to get as many of my friends as I can involved as well because the farm can always use more support!


Additionally, I have been in contact with Gary Rapp, of the Shooks Run Agroforestry Project, about volunteering with him and his team. The project operates throughout the Shooks Run Park system a few blocks away from campus. It has been advertised as "working outdoors with woody plants to enhance the streamside forest ecosystem of our watershed neighborhood." In the few conversations I have had with Gary it is clear that he is very knowledgeable in regards to plant biology and ecosystems, something that excites me even more about the project because it will be great to learn more about local ecosystems and agro-forestry in general. Gary goes out several times a week to work on the project and he has said that he is looking for one more volunteer to join him and his team. There is an application for the position which I have sent in this morning and Gary said he will get back to me by tomorrow and with any luck I'll be working with him by the end of the week! I would like to volunteer with the project for at least two hours every week for the rest of the school year.

         My hope is that this better time allocation (better in my opinion at least) will become habit by the end of the school year and I will be able to continue it through the rest of my time at CC.


No comments:

Post a Comment